Utilities and AC Disconnects [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 6 11:02:56 PDT 2004

Graduate in less than 13 months with AIU’s Online virtual
campus. Classrooms and student service as close as your
computer. Highly accredited, study anytime – anywhere.
http://click.topica.com/caab6anbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ AIU

Why SCE does not require AC disconnects. In 1996-7 before net metering
became law, utilities were deciding how to deal with <10 kW residential net
metered PV systems which was the biggest PV system that was going to be
allowed by law when deregulation started March 1998. All utilities starting
point for engineering was SO4 contracts requirements for big on-site
generators. Members of the PV Alliance facilitated by Vince Schwent (when
he worked at the CEC) tried to explain to utilities that there were at
least a magnitude of differences between <10 kW residential PV and
commercial customer owned generators. Wayne Gould (formerly of SCE) was the
only utility manager that understood what PV people were saying. Wayne said
(paraphrase) "SCE doesn't need a locking disconnect. If we have to
disconnect the PV system, we can pull the meter that belongs to Edison."
Wayne understood inverter had anti-islanding protection and that at least 2
disconnects (the backfeed breaker and the service panel main breaker) could
be shut off.

(Editorial - If inverter manufacturers had done a better job testing for
islanding and educating utilities, the issue of manual, lockable,
visible-break AC disconnects on residential PV systems would have never
taken root.)