Grounded for two weeks...hopefully longer [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at wwjv.net
Tue Mar 30 12:36:16 PST 2004

Are you looking for savings on products you use everyday?
Visit Quality Health today and see the coupons, free
samples and special offers our members enjoy each and
everyday.
http://click.topica.com/caab5n1bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Ivo Interactive

This topic keeps returning to this list with the same result.  I am
tired of checking out older systems and finding ground lugs, ground
wires, and/or other ground connections to aluminum modules frames
rusted off and the ground wire dangling.

Its time this burden was put back on the cause of the problem - module
manufacturers getting a UL listing based on a single punched hole with
a green sticker indicating that is their UL "approved" grounding
point.  I keep getting the feeling that module manufacturers don't
have a clue how their products are being attached to anything.

We need modules that are UL listed for grounding at any point on the
module perimeter, and a UL approved method that allows using the
mounting frame as the grounding point.  I for one would rather have a
nice heavy #6 or #8 solid copper ground wire attached at a single
point at the end of the array frame, than this Mickey mouse #10 flex
copper "string" hanging down as it loops from module to module
connected with tiny connectors that will rust off in a year.

Yes, I know the UL issues of what happens if you remove a module in a
row and the problems of galvanic corrosion, but what about some kind
of "biting" washer that is used between one or more module mounting
bolts to the array frame?   They could be larger like a fender washer
and green in color so you can easily see if they are there or not.
Several could be included with each module.

I am not saying this is the only answer, but when you are bolting
multiple aluminum framed modules to big "chunks" of aluminum angle or
channel, there must be a better way.  I would think  all of the metal
components on the roof - module frames, mounting rails, standoffs, and
supports should be at the same ground "potential" , and there should
be UL approved hardware for us to this using a single grounding point.

Jeff Yago
Dunimis Technology Inc.

**** Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! ****
Discover Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up
handfuls. It's the creativity unleashing, mood enhancing
desk toy!
http://click.topica.com/caab4CEbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm