Grid offseting system for 10-12 homes, Colorado [RE-wrenches]

William Korthof wkorthof at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 22 11:24:48 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
How about using a master-meter setup, a single battery bank,
one set of inverters, and an AC meter for each home....

A single larger utility service (eg, 200-400A, 120/240VAC, 1 ph)
would feed (backup) 4 to 8 Outback inverters, as needed for load.
About four MX60 controllers for the solar array. Size the battery
pack based on the desired amount of backup capacity (probably
small, say 400Ah). The inverter outputs would then feed each
home with standard 120/240 service entrance (100A each) and
a sub-meter.

Each home would pay for their share of the total power cost
Customer's $ = (submeter use / gross use) * (utility bill +
amortized PV cost +/- a base fee).

This configuration would be simple and mostly conventional to
build, provide standard power to the homes, provide the option
of extra backup power if desired, provide the best solar fraction,
allow you to use or avoid net metering, allow future expansion,
and keep system maintenance costs as simple and low.

/wk

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com