Grid offseting system for 10-12 homes, Colorado [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Nelson sunwise at cheqnet.net
Thu Mar 18 15:07:06 PST 2004

Hey Kurt,

I have used a simple voltage controlled relay (simple switch), but the
link allows you to pull in a relay based on battery state of charge.
You can program the Link to have a load/circuit transfer to the inverter
at 95% sco and then back to the utility at say 90%.  As long as the
(freezer) doesn't pull 5% of battery capacity during each run-cycle of
the freezer, and it gets replenished during the off-cycle, it stays on
the solar.

I have had owners of such systems tweak the settings and keep the
freezer on all night, but the deeper the discharge, the less efficient.
I usually have to work at getting the owners to understand that we
aren't doing an off-grid system, just getting the most out of the PV
during periods of sunlight.  This also leaves the batts nearly full to
back up some loads during outages.

Kurt Nelson