USE-2, rats and rugrats [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Wed Mar 17 12:28:36 PST 2004

Geoff,

Sorry you missed the glove question... I was pulling the 8' from memory in
talking with inspectors, but here is what I have found in the code:

NEC 110.27.A

"...electrical equipment operating at 50 volts or
more shall be guarded against accidental contact by approved
enclosures or by any of the following means:
(1) By location in a room, vault, or similar enclosure that is
accessible only to qualified persons.
(2) By suitable permanent, substantial partitions or screens
arranged so that only qualified persons have access to
the space within reach of the live parts. Any openings
in such partitions or screens shall be sized and located
so that persons are not likely to come into accidental
contact with the live parts or to bring conducting objects
into contact with them.
(3) By location on a suitable balcony, gallery, or platform
elevated and arranged so as to exclude unqualified persons.
(4) By elevation of 2.5 m (8 ft) or more above the floor or
other working surface."

There are several references to anything less than 7' above the ground is
considered exposed to physical damage -- 398.15(C) for instance. It is
interesting to note that LFNC is not allowed in an area exposed to physical
damage (NEC 356.12). Therefore a ground-mounted system must be surrounded by
a fence if not 8 feet above the ground.

Even if the wiring is surrounded by a fence, my experience is that
inspectors want to make sure that the wiring does not encourage using the
cable or conduit as a support for someone climbing under the array. I don't
think there is an NEC reference on this, it is just good practice.

Anyone else have something to add?

Bill.