Solar Space Heating Storage Tank Size [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Mon Mar 8 20:11:33 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hi y'All

As I recall double walled heat exchangers ( which make no sense)  are
required in San Francisco, Portland, and somewhere in Colorado.
They make no sense because the hydronic side is at less than 30 psi, and
the street side is supposed to be greater than 50 psi, so a leak would
blow out the hydronic side not into the domestice side. I just installed
two flat plates one hydronic to domestic  hot water, and one direct
expansion freon to hydronic water, to make a chiller, neither one is
double wall, both are stainless steel brazed lamination.
Flat Plate Brand heat exchangers are good and cheap. Al;pha Laval makes
good and expensive ones. I can get double walled ones on special order.
Each vendor has models for different applications, and software or
charts for sizing given loads, flow, fluids, and temp difference.

cul  deant

sunwise wrote:

>From: Travis Creswell
>
>I used flat plates when an external heat changer was the only option.
>They
>simply put every other heat exchanger to shame in terms of efficiency.
>
>Greetings Travis,
>
>I use AAA Solar's (SEMCO) Quad-rod heat exchangers.  The flow
>restriction on this HX is so low they can be used as a passive transfer,
>side-arm heat exchanger in solar systems.  Or, if a pump is required,
>the smallest El Sid will do the job.  They may be slightly less
>efficient, most likely because they are double walled which is required
>in some States when using glycol (or other chemicals) in the heat
>transfer fluid.
>
>Kurt Nelson
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

* Cooperative Community Energy* 	*Dean T. Newberry*

430 D Street, Davis CA, 95616
Tel: 530 758-6064
Fax: 530 758-3684
Email: deant at dcn.org