Submersible pump loads? [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 1 20:01:25 PST 2004

For Grundfos pumps you can go to their site at:
http://www.grundfos.com/web/homeus.nsf
click on "WebCaps" go to product catalog, groundwater, etc. This site is
not very user friendly, but with some exploring you can get some power
figures for your specific application.

In my case, my SQE pump was using about 1800 watts for about 300 ft of
head and 5 gal/min. This pump failed to stop on dry run, so was damaged
and just last Friday I replaced it with an SQFlex 3SQF-2. This uses
about 250 watts (read right off of the CU300 control, nice!) at 300 ft
of head and about 2 gal/min. This is way more efficient than the SQE
pump was. I'm running it on 240vAC. When my well is drawn down, the
total head on the pump is about 520 ft which is about the limit on the
SQFlex. I'm running the float switch through 16 ga wire for about 850
feet, no problem, and it's nice to finally have automatic control of the
well pump.

I've heard that the SQ and SQE pumps have had some problems, which may
or may not have been improved. Grundfos claims to have had virtually no
failures on the SQFlex pumps. At any rate, knowing that the SQFlex will
run on any power (including probably hydro, but don't know for sure),
and is reliable, I would choose to use it even on grid power, unless it
didn't fit the flow or head requirements.

Brad Bassett
AEE

Geoff at Third-Sun.com wrote:

> I know that there is no typical household (water use) and no typical
> well
> (head) and no typical pump (efficiency) but I am curious what off grid
> wrenches are using for well pump loads in their load analysis?  Today's
> project is a single person house with 400' head - looking at SQ with
> 240V
> T-former...  I may even rig a little plug/cord so I can leave a $35
> Kill-A-Watt meter there (rather than my fluke and an amp clamp) to get
> some
> averaged real data...  but here's hoping that some of you already have
> this
> info!

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com