Qustion for someone experienced with Grundfos SQ-FLEX [RE-wrenches]

larry larry at h2nation.com
Mon Mar 1 09:34:54 PST 2004

-------Original Message-------

From: RE-wrenches at topica.com

Date: Sunday, February 29, 2004 10:23:50 AM

To: RE-wrenches at topica.com; Larry Elliot

Subject: Re: Qustion for someone experienced with Grundfos SQ-FLEX
[RE-wrenches]

For this application I would consider a bank of those super capacitors. I
once saw

Larry Elliot start and run a 2? HP air compressor several times off a set
these

caps feeding a FX inverter. Larry you want to add to this discussion?

Todd

Todd. I think you would find some of what I am now doing with UltraCaps and
gel batteries in downsizing battery banks for backup/grid intertie, while
still maintaining extremely high inrush currents pretty interesting. I'm
looking forward to getting a couple GVFX3648's and running tests on having
daytime backup with no batteries at all. I'll be using the MX60 so it may be
similar to running pumps like the SQFlex that have built in MPPT.

I did do some testing of a Grundfos SQFlex (don't recall the model) on a 60
volt nom bank of 2700 farad caps and a small 4 series 80 watt Solarex array.
If I remember correctly there was virtually no surge on startup and the pump
ran for a few hours under about 40 pounds of head with no problems even when
turned off and on.

Not a real detailed test but it worked. If anyone wants to check some specs
go to www.maxwell.com

and use the online spreadsheet for sizing and selection.

They claim over 500,000 cycle life.

Larry Elliott

.

- - - -