Inverter Monitoring & Canceling Meter Legs [RE-wrenches]

RE wrenches Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Tue Feb 17 07:39:43 PST 2004

Well - too little too late for one of my jobs that I did with 2 meters and
math instructions to the customer, BUT Thank you for pursuing this in time
to simplify the second application here!  I am using reconditioned GE meters
from Austin International.  Did a little experiment - before commissioning,
I left the transfer switch in the inverter out position, passing the sub
panel straight back to the main panel.  The backward running main meter
matched exactly the forward running sub panel readout - so for these two
meters at least the accuracy in bi-directional mode looks good.

I did connect the little screw to a neutral wire (after removing the
jumper) - some instructions I got told me to connect it to ground but I was
thinking that - minute as it is - the micro motor load would be using the
ground as a conductor.  Am I right in this thinking and practice? If so we
should heads up the suppliers who are recommending this practice.

Looking forward to a one-meter installation next time.

Also - I have had good luck with Davidge controls' products  - they use a
transponder with current transducers and a voltage tap - then pulse out to a
remote odometer style kwh meter (down to 1/10) and also to a rs-232 adapter
that can talk to a computer (with a Davidge supplied - clunky - access
program that has to be on 24-7.  With a bit of programming skill one could
massage the data and get graphs, daily, cumulative etc bells and whistles
out of it - even put it on the net.  Big advantage is remote transmission of
data and availability in all types (3-phase, 480, 208 etc)

Sincerely,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License Number
0211-01

THIRD SUN SOLAR AND WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street, Unit 25
Athens, OH 45701