ground source and hydronic cooling recommendation [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Sun Feb 8 16:15:21 PST 2004

<x-flowed>

--On Sunday, February 08, 2004 5:03 PM -0600 "Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar" <ozsolar at ipa.net> wrote:

> Why not just zone (cool) with window units?  They are available with EER's
> of 12 or better.  Use all the money and time you'd save to buy more watts of
> PV.

Doing that now in the original (1945) house to reasonable effect.

Building a house that will need to compete with very high end residences when we sell it.  Also hate the noise.

> You could also do zone cooling with a two-stage heat pump and zones
> controlled via dampers. They come several sizes down to one ton with 2 tons
> for the 2nd stage.  You can find them in SEER's up to 15 and higher.

I want to avoid forced air heating and cooling in the traditional sense.  I'm looking for very low velocity air from very large ducts (primarily for fresh air exchange and humidity conveyance) and would like a house which does not need open windows in order to take advantage of the cool Summer nights with which Reno is blessed.  My wife seems to be developing a mild case of asthma and I want to keep the dust to an absolute minimum (which should also make it easier to keep the house clean.)

> By no means am I trying to tell you what to do or questioning your process

Please, do question it.  I'd like to see what I can do to push the envelope a bit--and believe the result will not only be worth it, but become something I can market to discerning customers once the concept is proven.

> I'm just curious to know what kind of efficiency gains you expect?

As much as reasonably possible given the 40-50°F night/day deltas we frequently have here.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com