ground source and hydronic cooling recommendation [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Sun Feb 8 15:03:18 PST 2004

Why not just zone (cool) with window units?  They are available with EER's
of 12 or better.  Use all the money and time you'd save to buy more watts of
PV.  I easily cool my 600 ft2 office with an 8000 BTU unit that uses less
than 700 watts.  It's very quiet and came with a remote control for less
than $300.  EER = BTU's/Watt Hour.... so 8000 BTU's/~670 watts/hr = an EER
of 12.

You could also do zone cooling with a two-stage heat pump and zones
controlled via dampers. They come several sizes down to one ton with 2 tons
for the 2nd stage.  You can find them in SEER's up to 15 and higher.

By no means am I trying to tell you what to do or questioning your process,
I'm just curious to know what kind of efficiency gains you expect?

Good Luck,

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services, Inc.