kwh meter workaround [RE-wrenches]

Kirk Herander, VSE kirk at vtsolar.com
Thu Feb 5 06:45:36 PST 2004

Robert,

I do like to have as much info as possible. The three meter option will give
you a gross solar AC into the main panel and gross grid power to the
inverter/sub-panel. If you just use one meter between main & inverter,
you'll only measure the net power to/from the main panel. In addition, the
single meter between main and inverter will sometimes measure less than its
previous reading. Some of my customers get totally confused when they have
to deal with the math of negative numbers. I'd rather have each meter count
forward as in the three meter scenario.

BTW, I just ordered a single 12S, 5 jaw meter for this application. I will
keep the list posted as to how well it works. Hopefully the 12S will make
the multiple-meter solution irrelevant. If anyone is thinking of doing the
same, a standard 4 jaw meter socket can be converted to to 5 jaw with the
proper adapter kit.

Kirk

Vermont Solar Engineering
North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners Certified Solar PV
InstallerT
Xantrex Certified Dealer Charter Member
Kirk Herander
PO Box 697