kwh meter workaround (started as ratcheting cyclometers) [RE-wrenches]

Kelly Keilwitz kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Wed Feb 4 22:00:53 PST 2004

Wrenches,
We installed a form 2S (240-V), 4-tab, NON-ratcheting meter today, as
described by Geoff below, for a grid-tied, battery backup situation. The
meter is a reconditioned Schlumberger. The inverter is a single FX 2548 -
we're waiting for the GT upgrade. The single backup subpanel load is an
Outback X240 boost transformer to a well pump (I can send a one-line diagram
in Word format to anyone who wants a visual, off-list). The neutral is
connected to the top screw on the back of the meter, with the jumper
removed.

It doesn't work. Yet (one can always be hopeful) :)

Here's the situation - battery fully charged, we ran the pump and watched
the meter disk in the following situations:

1. Batt connected, grid connected => meter runs forward the fastest.
Expected: meter fwd until battery voltage drops and grid kicks in, when the
meter should stop.

2. Batt disconnected, grid connected, through inverter => meter runs forward
fast, but not as fast as #1. Expected: no movement fwd - possibly small
movement in reverse for inverter load.

3. Batt disconnected, grid connected, bypass inverter => meter runs forward
just perceptibly slower than #2 (i.e. minus inverter load). Expected: No
movement in meter.

4. Battery connected, grid disconnected => meter runs forward the slowest.
Expected: meter moves forward.

Any ideas? Geoff what solution did you arrive at?

For those who are wondering "Why bother?" it means an additional 10
cents/KWH for all solar energy production for our grid-tied customers.

Thanks,
-Kelly