Do Canceling Meter Legs Work? (Was Re: ratcheting cyclometers) [RE-wrenches]

Robert Nuese r.nuese at comcast.net
Tue Jan 20 23:18:53 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Ah, now we're getting somewhere!

The 5-jaw option looks promising. Thanks William and Christopher! Next
hurdle with that system will be finding a 5-jaw meter that 1) works
both forward and backward with adequate accuracy, and 2) is not too
expensive. For myself and many others, an additional issue will be that
it must 3) be on the California Energy Commission (CEC) list of
approved meters
(http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/erprebate/eligible_meters.html).
One 5-jaw meter that satisfies 3) is the GE KV 12S. It looks like the
price might be half again or twice the price of what I might pay for a
4-jaw, but then, we'd only need one, and we'd also save the price of a
second base. Does anyone know if this meter meets criteria 2)? Any
better choices on a 5-jaw? And any similar ideas about how to meter a
double SW, 240v system with a single meter?

The current sense transformer idea (Thanks again Christopher) sounds
good. Integrated Metering Systems has some models that meet criteria
3). Their single element meter, model 1101202 sounds like it would work
as Christopher suggests. Their dual element meter,model 1202202 might
do the same job on a double SW system. Does anyone know anything about
IMS meters? Would they work as hoped? Were to get them, etc.?

In answer to your question Matt, well, uh, no, I didn't guess high,
low, or just right.   I did a flurry of SW systems back well before the
CEC started to require performance meters, and then I seemed to only be
getting requests for SunnyBoy systems for a spell, with metering
helpfully included. I think I'd heard that there would probably be such
a requirement sooner or later, but I'd signed the 3 SW contracts before
I realized that metering is NOW required. So, you can think of my
efforts to figure out and install appropriate metering on these systems
as a labor of love. So far, I don't feel particularly bad, at least
it's an interesting puzzle.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm