system design. wind solar [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Jan 19 12:37:55 PST 2004

Doug Pratt wrote:
> Outback is working up a solution that might suit you Darryl, but it
> isn't available quite yet. I forget exactly what they're calling it,
> zero metering or something like that.

We are calling this our "ZERO" mode - because zero power is sold back to
the utility grid.  You also can think of it as "ZEROING" out your
utility consumption - assuming you have enough RE source.

This is intended to be another choice for system configuration - Someone
at HomePower dubbed it "legal guerrilla solar" mode which describes it
fairly well.  We use an additional current sense transformer located in
the main AC panel to sense the direction of the current flow.  This CT
attaches to inverters "XCT" terminals that have always been there in all
the OutBack inverters...  (but are not yet active).

We need to get a few of these systems installed and monitored before we
enable it in the grid-tie version code. One step at a time...

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com