system design. wind solar [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Jan 19 12:51:43 PST 2004

Jeff at GlobalResourceOptions.com wrote:
>Depending on the utility and the state, this may or may not be right.
>The definition of "interconnection" can vary. In some states, producing
>power on site, even if it does not net meter, is "interconnection", if
>the power that is produced goes into the same AC system that the utility
>power does. The argument is that if the on site system has certain types
>of failures, it could send power back onto the utility grid and cause
>problems. (Not my theory, theirs.)

Yes - I am sure some utilities and/or states will protest and whine
even... but I think this is a better option for them to tolerate than
"forcing" people to do guerrilla systems...

This option will be offered as part of our listing to the UL standard.
There is full fail safes in the software to detect an disconnected,
shorted or incorrectly installed current sense transformer as well.

I've discussed it before - utilities are too worried about the safety of
grid-tie PV systems - and they "look the other way" regarding fuel
powered back-up generators.  Take a look at some of the listed transfer
switches - they can fail or be installed incorrectly - but the utilities
don't worry about them - even though several utility lineman are KILLED
by back-up generators every year...  sigh....

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com