Bi-Directional Meters (Was ratcheting cyclometers) [RE-wrenches]

Robert Warren robertwarren at mail.com
Fri Jan 16 08:27:03 PST 2004

Matt,
 I don't know if they have comparable meters available in the US, but
the last 3 years when I was with Solar Century in England, some
utilities would install a 50Hz digital Siemens meter which was not only
bi-directional, it also had 2 sets of dry contact pulse outputs, for
import and export values. So I was able to wire these outputs to the 25
pin digital input port of a Sunnyboy Control Plus and not only log
incoming and outgoing KW/Hrs, but also access this info by modem.
 So the point is, utility companies do have a new breed of electronic
meters available, it is more a problem of initeria and unwillingness to
change over to something new.
Robert Warren

mlafferty at universalenergies.com wrote:

> Doug P said:
>
> > many meters, particularly older standard clockwork meters like many
> > of us have been buying rebuilt, do not register accurately when
> running
> > backwards.
>
> All:
>
> For purposes of a customer monitoring of their system production,
> absolute accuracy in "backward" mode may not be critical if used for
> general reference purposes.  Even what we call "non-ratcheting"
> (non-detented in Utility speak) meters aren't necessarily accurate in
> reverse direction unless designed to be so.  When it comes to the
> revenue meter, the accuracy becomes far more important.
>
> Not all meter indicator dials run backward even with the disc running
> backward.  We think that the "backward spinning disc" means that it
> isn't detented, and therefore is running the indicator dials backward.
> Anti-theft internal provisions in many meters built (or rebuilt to
> original specs) in the past 25-30 years actually make the dials spin
> forward!  (Think of the proverbial "turn your meter upside down two
> weeks out of every month"...)
>
> This is only the tip of a real iceberg of hilarious frustration... Trust
> me!
>
> What we all regard as basically two coils driving a little motor
> attached to a bunch of sprockets and a disc is actually far more complex
> than that.  With all the regulatory, tariff & accuracy standards,
> billing, administrative, power-theft concerns & prevention thereof, etc.
> that have to be considered & dealt with before a meter is ever even
> built, ordered, installed, read or maintained, it's a wonder they don't
> just figure it's cheaper to give us the dadgummed power for free!
>
> From the inside, I've seen what testing, verification, and calibration
> efforts go into putting an accurate "bi-directional" meter out there.
> It's not a joke, even though I must admit I laughed at the meter-shop
> techs in the beginning when they tried to tell me about it... Seemed
> like such a simple thing to me.  That was before I understood the "other
> stuff and history behind it".
>
> While I suffer heartburn over Utility unreasonableness and sometimes
> outright injustice on a daily basis, metering is the fundamental
> keystone to revenue for Utilities and they don't take it lightly.  Since
> Electric Utilities are the reason meters are made, their needs are the
> first to be met.
>
> Think about it... As far as the regular customer is concerned, the meter
> represents "the Electric Company" to them... In many cases, it is the
> only physical piece of equipment they see as proof.  Even if they don't
> look at it on a daily basis, they are reminded each month when the bill
> comes.
>
> Doug's statement about "older standard clockwork" meters isn't the whole
> story.  Without verification of the bi-directional capabilities, as
> [...]

What will we do if there is another fuel shortage?
Did you know that there is a pollution free, completely
renewable fuel which you can use right now in your own car?
Don't replace the engine, replace the fuel.
Check out my website on making your own fuel:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
robertwarren at mail.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com