PV's on tower [RE-wrenches]

Kelly Keilwitz kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Thu Jan 8 08:59:55 PST 2004

Hi Jeff,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Clearwater, Village Power Design" >
> Did you follow the thread that Ian started on this same subject last
> year?  A number of us chimed in with some serioius concerns about
> mounting PVs on a wind tower.

This is the same project. The installation will be an SEI workshop for both
PV & wind. Ian was inquiring about tubular towers at the time as that was
the customer's preference. For cost and logistical reasons (especially
delivery & foundation) we're narrowing the focus to truss towers.

As for the structural concerns, we have them too! But the tower folks have
the engineering data and we'll see what they come up with.

> Keep us up to date with how that project goes!  Sounds like a fun one!

Definitely not the run-of-the-mill PV install. It's what keeps this job
interesting! I'll let you know how it comes along.

BTW, the feedback I have so far on the Sanyo modules is that they are
conservatively rated and, thus, produce more than predicted. No confirmation
that the thin-film layer behind the single crystal layer improves the
low-angle of incidence performance over other single xl modules, though.

-Kelly

Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Whidbey Sun & Wind
Renewable Energy Systems