battery shoot-off [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 25 13:18:28 PST 2004

Free Thanksgiving recipes for you
http://click.topica.com/caacZpwbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Marco, my experience in catalog retail is bit different than most of the
Wrenches, but perhaps broader. I talk with a LOT of folks every fall about
batteries, probably because we're easy to reach with our 800 numbers, and I
don't mind helping them diagnose problems long distance. I almost always
advise folks to shop locally if at all possible to avoid shipping costs.

We've been using MK Batteries as a distributor for almost 10 years.
http://www.mkbattery.com/ They distribute US Battery brand for the golf-cart
types, and Deka brand for the std. L16 types. We've never offered the L16H
batteries (whew...ducked that bullet by sheer luck). MK has regional
warehouses all over the country that reduce shipping costs (but not in HI),
offer free shipping for over 10, and have been more supportive than I ever
imagined or hoped for.

The Deka L16s have been problem-free with most folks getting about 5 to 8
years of service...with one notable exception. About 3 years ago apparently
a batch of defective ones got out that started failing after a year or two.
I dealt with three customers who had multiple failed cells on a hydrometer
test. In every case, even though they were well beyond the factory warranty,
MK replaced and shipped an entire new battery pack for the customer at no
charge. Sure gotta love that kinda beyond the call of duty service!

On the L16H cells, I've talked with several folks who are suffering failing
cells at around four years, and are pretty bummed about it. I talked to a
guy last month who'd just bought his second set because his dealer still
thinks they're the best choice. So not everyone has gotten the news that
thinner plates are a poor choice for deep cycled batteries.

All the above pertains to off-grid systems that get cycled regularly. If
you're dealing with emergency backup systems, specify sealed cells. Wet
cells won't last, and won't perform when you need them in emergency
backup...even if a miracle happens and they're watered regularly.

Is my former boss Doug Bath still working with you? Say cheers of the season
for me!

Cheers,
Doug Pratt