System Performance Metering [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 17 13:12:14 PST 2004

** Get Your Own Support-a-Cure Yellow Bracelet for $1.99 **
Show your support for finding cures for both AIDS & Cancer.
Get yours for just $1.99. This bracelet makes a difference.
http://click.topica.com/caacVlObz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Penn Media

Hey Bill and John and all,

While I  wholeheartedly agree that performance metering is essential
to install in any system, tying that data to rebates and getting all
that data to a central database and then disbursing those payments is
another issue.  In the first round of rebates in Massachusetts they
did just that and it's cumbersome.  After experiencing it - many of
us at SEBANE -( Solar Energy Business Association of New England)
argued against systems less than 10 KW being required to report
performance in order to get the rebate.  And don't get me wrong, I
actually do want to see some sort of incentive for performance but
just how to do it is another question.  We install a lot of tracking
systems and I would love to get credit for that extra 25-40%
production!

In the first MA round they gave $5.00/watt - $3.50 up front and
another $1.50 that you had to prove per KWH over 3 years.  Now that
sounds great but don't underestimate the amount of paperwork and
hassle that created - and barrier to sales.   Folks weren't psyched
to learn they had to carry the money and receive incremental checks.
And think of the staff time it takes at the State level.

After seeing the program work on the ground, my recommendation was to
offer (or require) performance rebates above a certain size - perhaps
4 or 5 KWs or maybe even 10KW so that you would leave out all the
small residential systems.  In New England many systems go in at
under 3 KW.  Many customers go for 1.2-2.4 KW.  1500s are really
common.  Another approach would be performance standards as opposed
to monitoring.

I contemplated writing up a performance standard system based on
modifiers determined at the time of install with no need for
subsequent monitoring and reporting for the residential systems.  So
you would have a base rebate which you would modify with tilt, angle,
and percent shading factors.  It would require some sort of % shading
measurement standard equipment better than the Pathfinder as Bill
pointed out - but that would be a great addition to our industry
anyway (and a product I've long thought someone should produce) - to
have a standardized way of verifiable shading percentage reduction.
You could also have factors for tracking - for panel types, etc.  The
application would get cumbersome but perhaps not as bad in the long
run as reporting KWH for years and the CEC having to issue payments
over time.

I'd love to see a reported actual data performance system that works
and I can see the gathering of the data as easy enough but how to do
the payments without hassling the state and the customer?.  MA did
make it a honor system based on customer reporting - I think that
could work if CEC had a central web reporting system that was really
easy.  But a whole system of writing checks based on piddly KWHs from
a 2 KW system over time seems like unnecessary bureaucracy to me.
There must be a better way and  unless the day comes  when we have
modem connected meters everywhere and the utilities process the
rebates,  I really think there is merit in the performance standards
approach for residential systems and perhaps even commercial systems.

Jeff

>John,
>
>I was directly behind the requirement for performance metering due to the
>fact that most systems installed in the first 3 years of the California
>program had no way to record energy production. I tried to get the CEC to
>adopt a standardized, conservative method of estimating annual energy
>production, but they opted for the installer to provide the estimate. The
>whole idea was predicated on the fact that we were not going to get a
>performance incentive any time soon because neither the CEC nor CalSEIA
>supported the idea at the time. CalSEIA has changed their tune and the CEC
>still talks of a "pilot program", but until a performance incentive is
>required, it will not happen here in California.
>
>My idea, back when the energy "crisis" was in full swing and everybody was
>lobbying for more rebate dollars, was to keep the rebate at the then $3/Watt
>amount and add a performance incentive of $0.15 to $0.20/kWh (similar to an
>increase of $1.50/Watt rebate increase). Everybody wanted the $4.50/Watt up
>front and I was summarily squashed by the masses running to the money. Alas
>we now sit with nearly 11,000 systems in the field and no real mechanism to
>get the data in to the state's data base. A CEC website for homeowners to
>enter their own performance data has been suggested, but nothing has been
>done about it. Homeowners who contribute to this type of a website would
>then be allowed to access data from other fellow system owners--this still
>should be done.
>
>My secret plan was that as these systems consistently underperform for those
>installers that do not know how to calculate annual energy production,
>customers would begin to react and force a greater level of competency in
>our industry. Good software exists to estimate energy production (the Clean
>Power Estimator on the CEC website is as good as any), but as we have said
>over and over, garbage in is garbage out with a computer program.
>
>The one area that hurt most in losing by standardized performance estimation
>argument is that there is no explicite requirement to test for shading. This
>is often the most significant element that reduces output and yet no
>computer programs to date do a very good job of estimating the issue. There
>is still no good alternative to a good, old fashion Solar Pathfinder
>analysis.
>
>Bill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage
877-765-2784
425 Nimrod St.
Nevada City, CA 95959
Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
http://click.topica.com/caacVmdbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com