Split Bolts vs Wire Nuts on the Roof [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin solar at ecoisp.com
Mon Dec 6 16:34:11 PST 2004

Attention Women! Win a $50,000 Ultimate Makeover! Become the
newest “Hottie” on the block. Or use the $50,000 how you wish.
Make it yours below!
http://click.topica.com/caacVl6bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Vente

For two wire connections, I like mechanical butt end connectors.  They are
much easier to install, insulate and tape than split bolts, as well as
being cheaper.  They also take up less room in the box.

Mechanical butt end connectors also make good, permanent connections for
120/240 volt service drops from the utility line.  They dangle in the wind,
snow and rain.  The neutral conductor is not even covered, and they keep
working for many years.  This method is accepted in Denver, where the
inspections are rigorous.

The code issue for connecting more than two wires together is that a butt
end connector may not be listed for more than one wire per terminal.  An
inspector might have a problem it the connector is used to splice three or
more wires together. The reality is that if stranded wires go into a
correctly sized set-screw terminal on the connector, they compress very
tightly together.  They make an excellent, permanent connection.

The only real-world problem I see with multiple wires under the butt end
connector's terminal screw would occur when using different sizes of solid
copper wire.  The screw might not tighten adequately on the smaller wire.

A number of manufacturers make floating, insulated terminal blocks.  These
are useful for many applications, including paralleling multiple series
sets of batteries.  They come in a variety of sizes.

-Drake

We can reduce your unsecured credit card debt by 40-60%.
Don’t file bankruptcy.  Be Debt Free in as little as 1 year. Take
control of your situation.  100% FREE Consultation.
http://click.topica.com/caacVlYbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/KnockOutDebt

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com