How About a Stock Tank Deicer? [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar bill_loesch at compuserve.com
Sat Nov 13 06:05:30 PST 2004

Free recipes to get you in shape
http://click.topica.com/caacQ4Obz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

William,

Your next life might be well served as an OSHA inspector. I've heard
stories of 3 inches of water being enough to do in some unfortunate kid.

What would the thermodynamics experts in the group think of a smaller
diameter pipe (culvert) so only mice and small rabbits would perish? Isn't
the depth of the hole rather than the diameter the determining factor to
bleed heat out of the earth?

Rather than the metal culvert wouldn't a section of pvc dwv with a test cap
glued in one end also accomplish the task? (I'm letting that backhoe RIP
and using a much more transportable and cheaper power auger.) Do manual
post hole diggers come with extra long handles?

Bill Loesch, Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar

RE-wrenches said:
> Kurt:

>Were I a farmer (instead of just having more garden than I can
realistically handle), I would not
>have one of these on my property unless  there was some kind of grating 1
foot below the surface.
>Children and  small animals could easily drown in one of these.  Common
wisdom will not  allow even
>a five gallon bucket of water around toddlers, let alone an 8  foot deep
sump.

>William Miller

Free Thanksgiving recipes for you
http://click.topica.com/caacQ4Qbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData