How About a Stock Tank Deicer? [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 11 17:51:55 PST 2004

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacOlIbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MyDietPatches

Okay folks, here's the real cure for frozen stock tanks. I got this
straight from the horse's mouth, a fourth-generation Wyoming rancher.
It's how he deals with keeping the stock watered in an extreme
environment.

Get an 8 to 10-foot length of 2 to 3-foot diameter culvert pipe.
With your backhoe (you DO have one, don't you?), dig an 8 to 10 foot
deep hole. Stand the culvert straight up so its top is even with ground
level, then backfill around it. Center your stock tank over the top of
the culvert. Use the rest of the dirt to berm around the tank, right up
to the top.

The air column in the culvert will thermosiphon warmth from the deep
earth up to the bottom of the tank. This will keep the tank ice free
down to at least -20F. In colder overnight temps my rancher had to break
a half-inch of ice or less in the mornings.

No heaters, no bubbly things, no moving parts. This is geothermal power.
It's simple and foolproof. Spread the word.

Cheers,
Doug Pratt
Real Goods Technical Editor