Generator stuff [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin solar at ecoisp.com
Wed Oct 20 10:43:32 PDT 2004

Free recipes to get you in shape
http://click.topica.com/caacLQebz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

>Run screaming from the showroom now! I had 3 systems which used that same
>Generac unit and all 3 had frequent and annoying "glitches" . They ranged
>from auto start unreliability, to waveform problems to over regulation of
>the voltage.

Yikes!  I am involved in a solar backup job with an existing Generac 15 KW
Guardian on a 200 Amp automatic transfer switch.  I need to use it to feed
a Trace SW 4024 (with GTI), although the inverter is not going to sell back
any power.

The generator guy who maintains (but did not sell) this unit believes that
there should be no problems. The unit will continue to have its grid
connection for the battery charging and the clock (which counts the ac
cycles).  Although he no longer sells Generac, he says he sold four units
that have been installed with PV systems in Colorado, of which he has heard
no complaints.

I know that Generac will not honor its warranty for systems that are off
the grid.  I wonder if part of the problem is that the unit needs a grid
connection for reliability.

In a related question,  has anyone had any experience with the Kohler 15
RYG, which replaces the old 12 KW Kohler?  Both are 1800 RPM, and the 15
RYG is less expensive then the 12 KW unit.

Thanks,

Drake

4 Free Low-Fat recipes
http://click.topica.com/caacLQdbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData