contract terms and liability [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at wwjv.net
Thu Sep 16 20:51:42 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacBBEbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

As a growing industry, we all are starting to see more contract issues
with product liability, clients un-happy with system performance,
projects stalled due to inspector delays, problems with code
interpretations, costly product delivery delays, and battles with
utilities for grid connection permits.

It would be interesting to "compare notes" on some of the terms or
conditions we are now writing into sales contracts (or should be!) and
hopefully let everyone benefit from hard lessons learned.

For us, initially our system proposals included detailed item by item
component lists and item pricing for everything in a system sale.  We
thought this would avoid potential mis-understandings on what we were
and were not including.  Now we no longer provide detail component
information in our "system" proposals, as some clients were internet
shopping for better pricing after we sized everything  and indicated
each component needed.

We now charge "up-front" for an initial site visit and system layout,
and deduct this from the final system purchase price.  This solved our
lost sales problem, and this early client financial commitment now
allows us to provide all the detail product information they request
without fear.  Most clients realize some initial field and sizing
effort is required before we can even give them a really firm price
proposal.

What has blind-sided you in your solar business or sales agreements,
and what did you do or add to your contracts so it would not bite you
next time?

What say yea?

Jeff Yago

WWJV Internet Filtering - www.wwjv.net - $3.99