AEI/Beacon M5 Fireworks II [RE-wrenches]

David Blittersdorf davidb at nrgsystems.com
Wed Sep 8 12:18:20 PDT 2004

Sponsor a child today through Children International.
Give a desperately poor child hope for a brighter future.
For only $18 a month you can make a difference!
http://click.topica.com/caacBBFbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ChildrenInternational

My company designs wind measurement equipment which includes
microprocessor based instrumentation. We installed 2 of the GC-1000
inverters on our building and had multiple failures.

The tolerance problems in design could have caused the funky-ness.  Any
good engineering works through all the tolerances and makes sure the
equipment works with extremes.  AEI just plain and simple did a poor design
job. Their high failure rates caused their going out of business. Quality is
designed in and can not be tested out.

High failure rates in the field is one of the fastest ways to go out of business.

David Blittersdorf

On 8 Sep 2004 at 14:11, Geoff Greenfield wrote:

> I'm glad my feeling of being "burned" by AEI was not so literal - yikes!
>
> After dealing with many failed GC-1000 units and nice but frustrated tech
> support at AEI, one bit of info seems appropriate -  One guy explained that a
> lot of the difficulties they had were related to the "contract manufacturing"
> that actually put the product together (they subbed it out). They would have
> specs for the electronic components, even by manufacturer, and all of these
> would have an acceptable "tolerance". He said that while things would work well
> on the bench, but as the manufacturing process went on, some of the boards used
> different components, and the combination of the different "range" of different
> components all added up to funky-ness...
>
> I don't know if this is typical of electronics manufacturing, (or if it was the
> excuse of the day), but it would seem like a good basic question (for Beacon and
> any manufacturer) how much of the manufacturing/assembly do you actually do, and
> how do you address quality control on the rest of it?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Geoff Greenfield
> NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
> GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License Number
> 0211-01
David Blittersdorf
NRG Systems, Inc.
110 Riggs Road