phone buzz and DR to FX [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Sep 2 08:58:18 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacBBEbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

Hi;

One of my part time assistants worked for decades for the phone company. He
said that many problems related to noise on the lines were actually due to
dry ground rods. A high impedance connection to ground could allow noise
from the inverter to come back on the phone line. The usual solution?
The phone guy would urinate on the ground rod. I'm not kidding. Liquid with
high mineral content poured on the ground rod will significantly increase
the conductivity to ground. Cured all sorts of buzz and noisy line problems.
You might try waterin' the ground rod & check that all the connections are
rust free & tight, before installing a new inverter.
Also, I would second Matt's evaluation of buzz with the SW inverters, it
probably will cut it in half not cure it.

Ray

>   I would (carefully) like to add that SW's ALSO create a very noticeable
>buzz in spite of what has been said to the contrary. It may not be quite so
>bad as a DR but it is there just the same.
>   Matt T
>
>   An old system with a DR1524 has gone from temporary cabin to full time
>   residence.  With that has come a phone line, and complaints about "buzz"
>on
>   the line.  She is ready to trade up to an outback, and has asked if the
>buzz
>   is related to the mod sine (and will go away with the upgrade).
>
>   I am looking for input...
>   Sincerely,
>
>   Geoff Greenfield

Save on inkjet and toner, and get free shipping on orders over $50.
http://click.topica.com/caacBBybz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Inksoutlet

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com