SW+ Voltage Sag [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Aug 16 16:07:52 PDT 2004

Get a Great Credit Card for You Today
You can find a credit card to fit your credit needs.
All types of credit cards -- 0% APRs, Rewards, & Bad Credit.
http://click.topica.com/caacvgubz8Qcsbz9JC9a/411Web

>Hey Matt;

I tried like model # 00037 from Outback, Chris F. had hand delivered it as
a demo unit to Dankoff.  We had some probs, and I just thought I'd wait
till they got the bugs worked out. The SW+ has some good specs: 10,000 watt
surge, 2,500 watt cont., 8 watt search mode, same old SW pyaramid wave
form, and the price was way less than the old SW series.
My evaluation now is that:
  A.)search mode doesn't work below 16 watts in New Mexico. (Allan S. can't
get his to search at 8 watts either)
B.) The high surge is available at the cost of power quality. I think the
transformer is just too small and too high an impedance to surge to 10,000
watts (or anything over 2,000 watts) without having a cheap generator like
blip in power.
C.) The big AC lugs and wiring room are great, and the way it butts right
up to the side of Outback's PSDC make it the easiest inverter I have ever
wired.
D.) The manual is actually pretty good, somebody put alot of homework into
updating it.
E.) Cost is good, I started pushing them instead of the DR series for my
lower cost systems. (I'm with Frank F. though I still love the old beater
DR series)

But If the Staber really can't run on the new SW +, I'm in trouble. I'll
keep looking for other causes for this incompatability and report to the group.

>   My question SHOULD have been: Why aren't you using Outbacks? ;-)
>
>   I think the problem
>is that the inverter is just too small for the job, but it should run a
>Staber just fine. Unless it won't. See the previous paragraph.
>
>   Matt T
>   -

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacvgpbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/OmahaSteaks

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm