Need Xantrex help (again) [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Jul 30 15:26:20 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacpgjbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

Bill Brooks wrote:
> I would agree that a single switch is needed for series stacked
> inverters since shutting down one inverter could cause some issues. It
> really depends on the design of the inverter, but two inverters
> generally become one in a series stacked situation. Running them in a
> different configuration, without knowing the consequences on the ac or
> dc side seems pretty risky.

Yes - I agree - the issue with some inverters is that the inverter which
is not not bypassed CAN run at its own frequency not sync'd with the
other inverter - and your right that the issue isn't so much the
bypasses as it is the inverter themselves being allowed to decide on a
phase by phase basis as to what they should be doing (i.e. connected to
AC, charging or inverting). The same issues occur with using two single
pole input breakers or fuses instead of a common trip two pole breaker
for a series stacked pair of inverters.

We here at OutBack dealt with all of these issues in our series and
three phase stacking systes - but I know other inverter manufacturers
haven't dealt with this... nor apparently does UL understand the hazard
which may occur.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Stories from the Civil Rights Movement. Extraordinary stories,
ordinary people. Share your memories today!
http://click.topica.com/caacpgMbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/AARP

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com