wind issues [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 1 21:23:18 PDT 2004

Get a FREE Mortgage Quote from Mortgage War. Simple application
for mortgage information. If you're ready to get a quote click
now!
http://click.topica.com/caacpgibz8Qcsbz9JC9a/411Web

Ezra, Matt, Folks,

The sort of certified, verifiable testing you envision for small scale
wind turbines already exists and is widely used for the larger power
production turbines. In fact this is one of good reasons the large
turbine industry is growing so rapidly, and doing so well. They can
guarantee a given annual output and return on investment...in fact, they
have to, or pay penalties in most wind farm developments. I've heard
Paul Gipe rail on this subject repeatedly (and Paul, if you're
listening, don't stop! It's good!). We aren't going to get honesty from
small turbine manufacturers until we demand it. So long as they can get
away with calling 250-watt turbines '400-watts', 600-watt turbines
'1000-watts', and 5,000-watt turbines '7,500-watts', they will. (Is
there anyone I missed offending without naming brands? Raise your
hands!)
  If anyone's got any good ideas for making small turbine manufacturers
toe the line, speak up. I wouldn't mind lending whatever marketing
muscle the Real Goods catalogs can bring to bear on this subject. Let's
have a laboratory standard to compare to.

Sincerely,
Doug Pratt