PV combiner box protection [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Wed Jun 23 08:52:14 PDT 2004

Get a FREE Mortgage Quote from Mortgage War. Simple 60-second
application for mortgage information. Rates are the lowest
they’ve been in 40 years!
http://click.topica.com/caacneLbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/411Web

Kurt,

All the SMA inverter systems have made the series fusing issue something
many installers have gotten rusty on. Fusing is required by the UL listing
of the module. The one exception is when the inverter has been listed to
provide no backfeed current. In this case, all modules can handle two
strings of modules in parallel before the inverter, and in a few cases,
three strings.

I am still unaware of any crystalline silicon module that can parallel
strings before going to a fuse for inverters not listed to provide no
backfeed. 12-Volt inverters are only battery-based at this time so they
cannot be listed for no backfeed since the battery is in the circuit. This
means that every single module in a 12-Volt system needs a fuse. How many
12-Volt systems have fuses on every module--my guess is not many but it is a
code requirement. Fuses in module junction boxes are problematic because of
the extreme temperatures in the junction box and the difficulty to access
the box in the case of a blown fuse.

Fusing protects the module, but it does have the secondary effect of being
able to protect the array wiring since we are typically stepping down the
wire size to connect to the module. Most modules with junction boxes can
only handle 10AWG and only a few can handle 8AWG (with great pain). For any
system providing a reasonable amount of power (residential on or off grid 1
kW or more) 48-Volts should be considered a minimum voltage in my book (it
is also a maximum voltage if it is battery-based). This reduces current,
fusing, copper, and overall losses.

Bill.