PV combiner box protection [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Wed Jun 23 06:28:02 PDT 2004

Get a FREE Mortgage Quote from Mortgage War. Simple 60-second
application for mortgage information. Rates are the lowest
they’ve been in 40 years!
http://click.topica.com/caacneLbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/411Web

This post makes me wonder why the manufacturers do not put series current
limiting fuses inside the J-box on the back of the PV?

Todd

Darryl Thayer wrote:

> Hi All and Kurt
> The module has a max fuse or breaker rating, this must
> be followed.  We have all heard of the few fires that
> were caused by a panel short circuit and all the
> balance of the array dumping there energy into the
> shorted module.  So the Module must be protected from
> overcurrent, hence the UL maximum current/fuse/breaker
> rating.
>
> By code this is a maximum parallel or series
> fuse/breaker or a supplementary fuse in each panel.
>
> And the bringing of perhaps 8 parallel sets of wires
> down to the controllers/inverters leads to the single
> motion of the hand switch that I fought with for so
> long.  (in my case 16 breakers at the enterance to the
> building)
>
> Thanks daryl

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqTbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ExpertCity

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm