PV combiner box protection [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 06:03:06 PDT 2004

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes – over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaciq1bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/UOP

Hi All and Kurt
The module has a max fuse or breaker rating, this must
be followed.  We have all heard of the few fires that
were caused by a panel short circuit and all the
balance of the array dumping there energy into the
shorted module.  So the Module must be protected from
overcurrent, hence the UL maximum current/fuse/breaker
rating.

By code this is a maximum parallel or series
fuse/breaker or a supplementary fuse in each panel.

And the bringing of perhaps 8 parallel sets of wires
down to the controllers/inverters leads to the single
motion of the hand switch that I fought with for so
long.  (in my case 16 breakers at the enterance to the
building)

Thanks daryl

--- Kurt Nelson <sunwise at cheqnet.net> wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I think this will be an easy one and not a can of
> worms, but then....
>
> A friendly competitor and I were speaking at the
> energy fair a while
> back and we disagreed on some issues regarding array
> wiring and over
> current protection.
>
> My position would be that the use of over-current
> protection
> (fuses/breakers) within the combiner box at the
> array is to protect the
> series and parallel interconnect wiring of the PV
> array which is
> typically a much smaller gauge wire than the home
> run (this primarily
> concerning low voltage 12, 24 & 48V systems).
>
> If a properly sized breaker or fuse is used at the
> DC box before the
> charge controller (protecting the array wiring from
> any high currents
> generated in the home/battery), and if the home run
> AND interconnecting
> wiring is capable of handling the total short
> circuit current of the
> entire array, is it necessary to have fusing in the
> combiner box?
>
> For instance if you had two 75 watt PVs wired into
> either a 12 or 24
> volt array and the smallest wire in the PV circuit
> was 10 gauge, would a
> fuse be required at the array if a properly sized
> fuse was used within
> the home prior to the charge controller?  BTW, I
> always use a second
> fuse/breaker between the CC and the battery.
>
> Also, as in the 12 volt configuration mentioned
> above but expanded a
> little.... a 600 watt, 24 volt array consisting of
> eight 75 watt
> modules.  I would think it acceptable to bring four,
> two series sets
> into one module's J-box (using liquid tight w/ten
> gauge/another post)
> and then use 10/4 SO(w) to bring the whole array (as
> two paralleled
> series sets) down to the pole mounted combiner box
> from the
> tracker/movable/seasonally adjustable top-of-pole
> mount.  I'd then use
> two FRN-15s in the combiner box before the
> distribution block/home run
> (necessary?).
>
> In any case, I've been told that you have to bring
> each series string
> down individually, resulting in eight conductors
> between the rack and
> the mast and nothing less than spaghetti in a
> similar 12 volt system.
> I'm hoping this is wrong and wondering what the
> logic is otherwise.
> Thanks for your brains.
>
> Kurt Nelson
> SOLutions

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqXbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ExpertCity

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com