EnergyCalc still buggy [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Fri Jun 11 09:06:50 PDT 2004

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqXbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ExpertCity

Hi Kent,
At Zero Lattitude and horizontal array the peak is at the solstices in
march and september. The output declines as the sun varies toward south
or north. I think the calc is ok. We are so north centric it is easy to
make an invalid assumption.
Negative lattitudes produce results that seem correct.
Try 90 and -90 with horizontal array, I think that is correct also.
I added a line for cloudiness for the guys in oregon.

Does anyone care about the time of use analysis, if not I'll delete it.

cul  deant

Kent Osterberg wrote:

> Dean,
>
> I just downloaded EnergyCalc again.  It's getting better.  I'm glad to
> see the extra array angle options. But EnergyCalc still doesn't pass
> my first order accuracy tests!
>
> I selected a latitude of 0 because it is easy to visualize how the
> data should behave.
>
> For instance, at 0 degrees latitude an array that is horizontal will
> have more summer output than winter output because the summer days are
> longer. In the summer there should be some output before 6 am.  In the
> winter there shouldn't be much, if any, output until 7:00 am.
> For a given hour, say 9:00 am, the summer output should be more than
> the winter output because the sun will be higher in the sky.
> EnergyCalc says the opposite for these issues.  This can't be - there
> must still be a bug.  I suspect that there is a  minus sign error
> associated with the Earth's declination angle.
>
> Good Luck.  I'm sure that a lot of people will make good use of this
> tool when you get it finished.
>
> Kent Osterberg
> Blue Mountain Energy

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes – over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaciq1bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/UOP

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com