SW has discovered lightning [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon May 17 10:00:54 PDT 2004

Cancel your low-carb diet. Lose weight. Choose your own
foods. Learn more about our program at:
http://click.topica.com/caaccM7bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Dr. Smith

Hopefully this is a related subject....

I just installed a SW2548+ and found that I had 0.35 amps AC current
running down the chassis ground, Voltage when I unbonded the nuetral was 60
vac Ground to nuetral. No, I didn't have nuetral bonded in more than one
place , ground loops, etc. These same measurements where with everything AC
disconnected from the inverter at its output terminals. NO, the amps didn't
dissipate with time unloading a filtering capacitor . It was steady. Meter
was a Fluke 89 inserted in the circuit.

Trace said it was normal operation of the filtering, and that if I measured
it with a clamp on meter it would "disappear". Yea I said because clamp-on
meters aren't accurate below an amp....
I said that the NEC doesn't allow current to flow on uninsulated ground
wires. They told me to look at the inverter again to confirm if it had a UL
sticker on it.....

So what do you think, is there a problem, or should I put my meter away and
be quiet? ( I found the "problem", when I disconnected  the inverter
chassis ground for a moment and drew a healthy arc.)
Seems to have some fire hazard / electrocution potential, especially when
we're supposed to ground 12 vdc etc, etc..  Is this another: "Trace payed
UL enough to pass this, but we can't do the same thing in the field deal"?

Ray

>I have done with my inverter that I suppose not is not kosher is not ground
>the chasis to any ground whatsoever. It is like the inverter shuts off to
>protect itself.
>
>SUNcerely,
>Frank Fowler

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaccMVbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ ExpertCity

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com