Protecting string connector cable from squirrels [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Tue May 4 09:13:39 PDT 2004

Cancel your low-carb diet. Lose weight. Choose your own
foods. Learn more about our program at:
http://click.topica.com/caaccM7bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Dr. Smith

Paul,

I know you brought this up some time back, and I appreciate you doing this.
Just yesterday I was working with a crew assembling a test system at PVUSA
and found that rodents had gotten into the MC cables and had ruined all but
one of the prefab cables that came with the system kit. Last week I found a
piece of USE-2 cable with bite marks in it. This is the information I have
been looking for and it backs up your findings.

The tough thing about this is that I'm not sure that food on hands had
anything to do with it. These cables had been handled by the system
integrator, but it was clear that the MC plugs were the target. Each plug
had a bite taken out of it and they were ruined. The bite was taken out of
the very end of the connector where it is unlikely to be handled. The boys
at MC already don't like me very much, so I can't be the carrier of this
message, but it certainly appears that their boots do not have a rodent
repellent in them. If this is true, the vast majority of todays rooftop
systems are susceptable to the problem you experienced.

MC did develop a plug protector that snaps around the connection, but I
would doubt this plastic clamshell protector would have much stopping power
for a rodent without some type of repellent. I guess there are poisons out
there that you could dip the connectors into to slow rodents down, but
anything like that would wear out over time. I really think you are on to
something very signficant that will take some effort on MC and others to
resolve.

Bill.