Decra Roofing [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Fri Apr 23 11:38:10 PDT 2004

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caab6aubz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ ExpertCity

Jerry C and All:

First of all, to Jerry: I'm sorry if what I said was offensive to you.  Not
my intent.

My previous post referring to "U-Bent Hanger Bolts" was NOT referring to the
Hanger-Bolt (Lag one end, Machine Thread opposite) that Jerry indicated.  My
apologies to anybody who took it that way.

My reference was to a "U-Shaped All-Thread" setup.  (The "U" under-grabs the
bottom of the rafter. A Nut/Washer on top of but below the roof surface is
used to secure the protruding standoff bolt.)  Jerry's Hanger-Bolt setup is
a more solid mounting point than the "U" at 3/8-1/2" Diameter... It does
"defeat the floating design" stuff I mentioned due to the fact that
flexibility at the top flashing point is not achieved.

I guess I see it all this way: I just put my perspectives out to the list
for the purposes of sharing experience where I think it applies, hopefully
for the use and benefit of all.  It is up to each of us to determine our
comfort-level with all that we do, no matter what it is.  Hopefully in a
responsible and informed manner.  Partly due to the high-profile nature of
what we do, "Bad news travels especially fast".  Based on "Political
Environments", this is especially important.  I would hate to hear of
somebody getting into a situation that hurts them and, in turn, sheds bad
light on all of us.

I stand behind my position that the Cal-Pac system is the least desireable
for the reasons mentioned previously, but maybe you will end up installing
PV on every one of them in No-Cal!  My statement regarding "dropping a
screwdriver" is from numerous observations of Existing Conditions while
engaged in service call activities (Prior to having a Digital Camera or I'd
send ya some pics).  It's also from experience dealing with many Customers
who had leakage, warranty, and legal-action issues (All unrelated to
Solar!!!!).  The rate of incidence for these that I've observed has been
significantly higher in this product than others.  My personal
observations.... Take it for what it's worth.

I don't have any "Dog in the Fight", other than seeing this whole thing we
kill ourselves to do, being sucessful.  The more applications that we can
responsibly and effectively serve, the better we all are.  Plain and simple.
One of the values of this list.....

One of my concerns relating to Multi-Layer roof systems, whether or not an
"Engineer signs off on it" or "the Building Department didn't even require
Engineering", is this: Multiple layers of roofing add weight to the
structure.  Adding the weight of a PV system to these should be carefully
considered, not just from a "How can I seal it for my 5-year warranty"
perspective.  We should be building for longevity!

Many of us rely on some form of the "Glass Offsets Live Load" factor...
There's a big difference between Live and Dead!  The example I use is this:
Lie on your back.  Now I'm gonna walk across your chest (Live Load).  Next,
I'm gonna stand on your chest for the next 30 years (Dead Load... Not to
mention the bad scenery!)  Which one do you prefer?

Most of the "Original Shake Roof" structures built in the last 30+ years
that I've seen weren't designed for overlays. (Not to mention the actual
"guys who cut the rafters and drove the nails" factor!).  Just because "a
roofer got away with it", doesn't mean it's "OK for us to" in my book.  Each
site varies.  I've seen more than a few 2x4 rafters that I trust to hold
more load than 2x6's with the same span. It all comes down to
responsibility, awareness, knowledge, and comfort-level.  (I've crawled a
few attics where the rafters are barely touching the ridge-board...
Valleys... Yikes!)

You can all do what you want.  I'm not stopping you.  I'm not trying to stop
or discourage "blazing the path".... I'll even support reasonable "blazing"
efforts to the extent I can.  That's an open and free offer to all.  I sure
don't have all the answer, but look forward to having more of them.  One of
the things that I think most of us have in common.  Part of "the thing that
drives us"....

I just feel a certain responsibility as a Wrench for "putting it out there"
when I see something I have a definite take on and believe it is worthy of
noting.  It's a take it or leave it to me.  I read 'em all... Bite my tongue
on some... Spit it out when I have something I think can be of value to
somebody.  No harm intended.

Pray for Sun.... Does anybody have tomorrow's winning Lotto numbers for
CA???? Care to share?  I don't need all of it...

Matt Lafferty
Universal Energies Institute
mlafferty at universalenergies.com
(916) 422-9772
(916) 628-7694 Cell
(916) 914-2247 Fax
www.universalenergies.com

Sign up to get FREE information from leading colleges!
Compare degrees, admissions, financial aid and more.
Study your career education options at
Collegeinformation.info.
http://click.topica.com/caab8K7bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ College Info

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com