wire sizing at Higher voltages [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Apr 21 19:19:00 PDT 2004

$6.95 .com Domain Name Sale!
Limited Time! ICANN Accredited GoDaddy!
http://click.topica.com/caab7pQbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ GoDaddy

>  Hi Jay;

If your going 100 ft at a current of 15 amps, #10 will have a power loss of
15x15x 200ft x 1.02Ohms/ 1000 ft = 54 watts.
a #6 wire will have a power loss of 15 x15x200 ft x .403 ohms/ 1000 ft
=  18 watts. We just saved 54 -18= 36 watts.
At $6/ watt for PV, that was worth $216.00.  If #6 is 30 cents more per ft.
that's $60 extra for 36 watts or $1.66/ watt .

a #4 wire will have a power loss of 11 watts, therefore we could save
another $42 of power. So if #4 is less than 21 cents per ft more expensive
than the #6, it might be worth it. At higher currents it becomes an easier
choice.
On PV its power drop, not voltage drop.

Ray

>Hi Ray,
>
>I'm curious about just how far are you trying to run this wire? #4 using a
>SMA?
>
>And what voltage drop are you trying to get?
>
>thanks,
>jay
>
>Peltz Power

Sign up to get FREE information from leading colleges!
Compare degrees, admissions, financial aid and more.
Study your career education options at
Collegeinformation.info.
http://click.topica.com/caab8K7bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ College Info

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com