wire... data wire that is.... and the code [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Fri Apr 16 12:14:13 PDT 2004

INSTANT CAR INSURANCE QUOTE! Save time, save money, and
get the best deal. Get quote, buy, and print insurance
cards online!
http://click.topica.com/caab599bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Insurance4usa.com

Geoff,

Keep in mind that USB and RS232 completely different interfaces, not just
the same thing with a different adapter!  I don't know if the SMA software
supports both USB and RS232 drivers, but you'll need to choose one or the
other, I'd think, and then either get a RS232/RS485 adapter, or a USB/RS485
adapter (if such an animal exists, I guess it does).  I'd recommend staying
with RS232 if you can, unless the SMA folks suggest otherwise.

Good source to start for RS232/RS485 adapters would be
http://www.bb-elec.com/convert_serial_port/convert_serial_port_interface.asp

Also, be aware that a lot of readily available instrument and data cable is
only rated to 300V.  Don't know if that could be a problem, but 600V rated
stuff can sometimes be a bit harder to come by.

Regards,
John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey UT
www.re-solar.com

At 03:51 PM 4/16/04 -0400, you wrote:

>ALSO - Any cheap source and price for the required RS232-485 adapter?  (and
>probably a 9 pin to USB adapter too as SMA stuff seems to be in 9 pin and
>the computer industry seems to be in USB...
>
>Two ears of corn and a chunk of concrete for everyone (Cheers to Matt from
>OH)
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Geoff Greenfield

MORTGAGE / REFINANCE RATES ARE LOW. ACT NOW!
3 Mortgage brokers compete for your business.
Great rates, no obligation, and easy form.
http://click.topica.com/caab6aabz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Insurance4usa.com

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com