Outback Inverters [RE-wrenches]

Gary Higbee gary at windstreamsolar.com
Mon Apr 12 22:02:49 PDT 2004

Your opinion counts! We’re conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
http://click.topica.com/caab6PVbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Val Rad
Wrenches,

It has been very refreshing to work with these folks. I felt good things
about Outback quite a while ago--when they were working on some great
metalwork and I didn't have a hint yet of anything very electronic. The
metal worked, and so have the electronics--so far. Christopher was a huge
help when I was working on a project that required touch-safe fuse holders
in PSPV's for 35 strings of small modules (for an integrated roof-mounted
array), since there wasn't a small enough breaker. As well, in a couple
early inverter installs I had high "search mode" current, and Outback
provided the changeout boards, which were easy to install (no sending in 100
pounds of transformer and such--let's hear it for field serviceability!).

A recent quad VFX3648 install was briefly challenging, due to poor
documentation. Fortunately I had some papers Outback had provided at a
recent technical seminar, and I was able to adapt to this specific
configuration. Alan Sindelar suggested a "Programming Guide" for various
configurations, which I strongly second. We're seeing some wonderful
applications here, and I will say that I felt truly challenged to figure out
how to set up the quad stack. The nice thing is that I expect this
documentation will happen soon--thanks to this engineering-driven company.

I'm attracted to the technology in this product, but am concerned about what
would happen if one of the inverters in this quad stack goes down. Yes, it's
nice to watch the HUB10 scanning away--but what if something in this complex
integrated system gets sick? How about some procedures (that my clients can
understand) to run a minimal system on 1 inverter if the hub goes down, or
on 2-3 inverters if one or two go down or one quits? And what if it's the
Master? What-if's and clear documentation matter so much when the lights go
out...

OK, while I'm at it how about a dramatically better quad bypass? This is a
very poor mechanical assembly, and no matter what I've done I have not been
able to get the thing to feel right. I ended up manufacturing a back brace
to firmly hold the QOU2100 assembly in place, as it was very sloppy simply
clipped into the DIN rail. Even then the mechanics of the assembly simply
don't work. I've needed to caution my client to make sure to wiggle the
plate down slowly and switch the four 50 amp breakers down first before the
100 amp is flipped down to the inverted on (and bypassed) position--and to
not start the generator until all the switches are in the correct position.
Robin and I discussed options, including a wider mounting bracket that will
accommodate the clips that come with these larger breakers. This would help
with the mechanical stability of the 100 amp breaker assembly, but it still
may not cure the problem with the whole switching assembly working right.
The mechanics here seem challenging--though I am hopeful that Outback will
come up with a much better version and provide it to those of us who have
versions that don't work.

Bottom line in my experience--great folks to work with, an excellent product
line, some challenges we expect to experience in any cutting-edge company,
and a  keen interest in hearing what we have to say and to evolve quickly.
Especially important is that I have the confidence that these folks will
meet the challenge. OK, so how about the above items?

Thanks,

Gary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                     ~ Windstream Solar ~
     Gary Higbee  (gary at windstreamsolar.com)
                     (541 ) 607-1818 (Eugene)
                        (541) 954-3881 (Cell)
Solar, wind, and hydro site analysis and system design
    Components dealer and installation assistance
 Energy Trust of Oregon contracted system inspector

$6.95 .com Domain Name Sale!
Limited Time! ICANN Accredited GoDaddy!
http://click.topica.com/caab7pQbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ GoDaddy

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com