Grounded for two weeks...hopefully longer [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Wed Mar 31 14:23:23 PST 2004

**** Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! ****
Discover Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up
handfuls. It's the creativity unleashing, mood enhancing
desk toy!
http://click.topica.com/caab4CEbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

We just finished a 20 kW ground mount and my installer called me to say he found a "better way to attach the modules, faster and cheaper, come take a look". Fearing the worse I hustled on over and found that they used #10 SS drill point screws w/SS washers up through the slotted channel and into the frame wherever they could hit (no, not the manufacturers intended holes, but within an inch or so). The first thing I noticed is that we now have a good electrical connection between the module frame and the strut, bonding all module frames to the entire structure. It looks like a reasonable direction to consider as we explore ways to ground zillions of module frames together on an array. I know we all want to see this get to the point of one ground point per array. We still bonded all frames with lugs and #10 CU. We all agree - there just has to be better way than this silliness.

I just got back today from doing a tour for a group of 20 IBEW electricians and when this issue of frame grounding came up they just could not believe that our industry has not sorted this out and we have to "do it the hard way".

Come on manufacturers, help us out here, this cannot be rocket science! It is pretty bad when it takes longer to ground a module than to mount it.

-jeff o

>From the Solar, Wind and Hydro powered office of Jeff Oldham

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

http://click.topica.com/caab5n2bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises