Playing with MC connectors and USE-2 [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Wed Mar 17 22:37:10 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hi Bill,

Just a note on this rat experience in East Randolph VT, the wire which
was chewed up was household romex, which was used to replace the knob
and tube his grandfather had run. The knob and tube was still functional
after 50 years, The romex lasted only about 3 years before the rats made
it unservicable. The electrician replaced it with BX cable, and ran all
emt on his new stick frame house. I mostly wired barns and stables, and
ran everything in emt. For PV on barns around here, I use rigid for the
riser and if appropriate use a weatherhead to drop the USE2 to the panels.

cul  deant

Bill Brooks wrote:

>Frank,
>
>You prove my point. Rats can chew through FNC and THWN wire, but they will
>not chew on USE-2 because of the chemical in the insulation. Dean says that
>he has evidence of damage if the installer was using bare hands. If this is
>the case, it would be an important discovery and be another good reason to
>wear gloves.
>
>Bill.

* Cooperative Community Energy* 	*Dean T. Newberry*

430 D Street, Davis CA, 95616
Tel: 530 758-6064
Fax: 530 758-3684
Email: deant at dcn.org