Adding MX60 to Power Panel [RE-wrenches]

Jeffery Wolfe, Global Resource Options jeff at globalresourceoptions.com
Sun Mar 14 20:58:25 PST 2004

Kurt,

I've struggled with the "which side to connect to" issue. Xantrex does
connect to the inverter side, and I've stuck with this for my work,
unless I bring the PV straight through a fuse to the battery. Reason is
that otherwise the wire to the C40 (or PV breaker) is completely
unprotected. Thinking in line with the NEC tap requirements, we can tap
off of a larger service, protected at a higher amp level, within limits.
I believe the idea is that a large fault will still trip the larger
overcurrent device, and short distances make small faults less likely.
So I've considered the C40 connection on the inverter side to be a tap.
If connected to the battery side I don't know how it meets code. (Not
saying it does not, I just don't know how it does.)

Jeff