Interconnection info request [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at wwjv.net
Thu Mar 11 05:51:31 PST 2004

"I want to protest is a requirement that "the qualifying facility to
be designed by an engineer licensed in NM." Nobody else requires this,
and it would add several hundred bucks to the system
cost. Can anyone provide a well-written argument against requiring an
engineer's stamp"

Allen - I am a licensed professional engineer and I can almost bet it
would cost much more than several hundred dollars to "stamp" your
designs.  Although there may be a few engineers out there that would
do this on your word, every engineer I have know including myself
takes the "stamp" process very seriously.  According to the
regulations governing a professional engineer's license, it clearly
states that "the engineer shall only stamp drawings and designs that
he(she) had personally supervised the design process".  Translated
that means the design is required to be done only by that engineer, or
his staff that he had full control over and checked their design work,
and takes full responsibility that the design drawings and
specifications were completed to the best of their ability and
according to all codes and standards governing their practice.

The only way any licensed engineer could legally "stamp" the designs
of another person or firm, would be to start over and redo every
calculation, check each item specified, and review everything as if
they did it all in the first place.

Also remember a licensed engineer's professional liability insurance
carrier knows the engineer will be a "target", not you,  if your
project ever causes an injury or fire damage, regardless of the real
cause, since the court will bring in the design drawings showing the
engineers "stamp" indicating they said approved the design that later
failed.

Bottom line - I would point out this will be a very big expense and is
not required for any non government project or other building system.
I would ask to see the basis this is being requested when it is not
required for the other systems, wiring, or home designs, and why a
licensed electrician is allowed by law to "approve" all of the other
electrical wiring, the meter installation, and all power connections,
but not this.

Jeff Yago, P.E., CEM
Dunimis Technology

- - - -