Solar Space Heating Storage Tank Size [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Mon Mar 8 04:41:35 PST 2004

Hello,

Assuming the internal heat exchanger is properly sized I don't understand
why you would want to stir the tank up.  Wouldn't the system work better by
taking advantage of stratification?  For example, you would have the hottest
water near the top ready for use.  If you stirred the tank up wouldn't you
risk not having hot enough water to be usable for space heating?  Sure there
might be more BTU's in the tank but your back up heat source would have to
bring the temp.

A drain back system would eliminate the need for the heat exchanger and, in
my experience, mixes the tank up.

I used flat plates when an external heat changer was the only option. They
simply put every other heat exchanger to shame in terms of efficiency.

Regards,
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services, Inc.