Kohler RES generators [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri Mar 5 12:11:22 PST 2004

Jeff,
I'm not aware of an 1800 RPM 8.5 unit, unless it's really old. The 8.5 and
11 RMY units came out around 1999 with an air-cooled 3600 RPM 20- or 25-hp
OHV engine. They replaced the 6.5 RMY with its 1800 RPM flathead twin.

The 6.5 was a near-perfect match to back up a single SW inverter at full
capacity. They ran just about forever. The 8.5 is designed for
homeowner-grade backup power during occasional outages, and is sometimes
marketed with a G120-100 or -200 automatic transfer switch. It's not
well-adapted to backup charging, in that it just won't last under long hours
of run time under load. Our Kohler distributor has sent out cautions about
not using these units for prime power, as they are consumer-grade backup
units. We don't recommend them as backup for off-grid systems. Like Steve
Willey has said, the 10RY is Kohler's best unit for this application (at
~$7K).

Given all that, I think that the regulation electronics is the same between
the two units, so the problem you describe may be specific to that unit. We
had more than one unit arrive with a bad regulator. When running properly,
the 8.5s I have seen can run full current into one SW of any size, even
after our altitude derating of about 24% for 7,000'; this is more than the
6.5. Did a Kohler rep ever check out the unit?

Just my $.02.
Allan at Positive Energy