Sunnyboy ground fault mystery [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Thu Feb 26 09:10:06 PST 2004

John and Kirk,

That module has two series strings of 54 cells that are then paralleled in
the junction box. Each series string of 54 cells is divided into 3 strings
of 18 cells, each with their own bypass diode. It appears, if the fault is
not in the inverter, that the fault is in middle string of one of the sets
of 54 cells. Not knowing exactly how the j-box is laid out, I can't say how
to separate those two strings and test them individually. If one string is
grounded, it could be permanently bypassed with a wire, but it raises
serious doubt about that module in general. If you have a warranty, claim
it.

Bill.