Watering sytems (was Hydrocaps for IBE cells) [RE-wrenches]

Gary Higbee gary at windstreamsolar.com
Mon Feb 23 13:17:05 PST 2004

Wrenches,

Interesting dialogue on Hydrocaps. Here's a piece from the Northern Arizona
Wind & Sun site, that may do a good job of summing up the differences
between Hydrocaps and Water Miser caps:

****************
1. Hydrocaps should be removed when equalizing, or they can get extremely
hot. Water Misers can stay in place all the time.
2. Hydrocaps re-combine the Oxygen and Hydrogen released by the battery
while charging, reducing water loss up to 90%. Water Misers do not
re-combine, but water loss is reduced by 30-75% by trapping fine water and
acid particles.
3. Hydrocaps are more expensive - because they do more.

Hydrocaps will not last forever, though - life will vary from 2 years to 8
years, depending on charge rates and how they are treated. If left on during
battery equalization, they can be quickly used up and/or ruined.
****************

The above doesn't sum up whether we should all be using one or the
other--seems there are numerous opinions and specific applications.

The particular case I brought up when I started this thread was that of a 5
year old IBE bank in a conditioned space that has Water Miser caps, but is
loosing water at a substantially higher rate than a couple years ago. Unless
Water Miser caps crud up or loose efficiency in some way it seems that we're
just looking at a failing battery bank, and it doesn't sound like it would
be a good investment to put Hydrocaps on this system. Any other PROVEN
rejuvination ideas before I suggest that my client needs to scrap this
expensive 5 year old set of IBE's?

WATERING SYSTEMS were mentioned. Do any of you have hands-on experience with
any specific watering systems. I'll be working with a large bank (configured
as 2700Ah at 48 volts) of Surrette's largest cells, and would like to offer
my client a low-maintenance system IF it makes sense. Would you recommend a
watering system? What system? Any particulars to note when installing and
using watering systems?

Thanks!

Gary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                     ~ Windstream Solar ~
     Gary Higbee  (gary at windstreamsolar.com)
                     (541 ) 607-1818 (Eugene)
                        (541) 954-3881 (Cell)
Solar, wind, and hydro site analysis and system design
    Components dealer and installation assistance
 Energy Trust of Oregon contracted system inspector

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com