Inverter Monitoring & Canceling Meter Legs [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Feb 16 17:03:39 PST 2004

Kirk Herander, VSE wrote:
> OK - but don't we want the meter to only register Solar-generated AC?

Yes Kirk - that is the correct hook-up I believe - although I should
pull out my notes to be sure (and I will later today as I am writing up
a "tech note" to put on the OutBack website).

The funny part is that with the terminals on the back isolated (jumper
bar removed) and the terminal connected to neutral - the meter measured
exactly 1/2 of the power produced. So I guess the meter needs 240 vac to
work properly - even when used on a single phase of AC power setup as
described.

So I ran the jumper over to the other meter box and tapped the opposite
hot phase to get the 240 VAC for each of the meters.  With this they
worked correctly.  So this is a good solution for systems with 120/240
vac power - which is fine even with single inverter applications as the
grid can provide the 240vac (except during an outage).  Another option
would be to use a small transformer for making the 120 vac into 240 vac
just for the meter.

This method of using a single meter will spin backwards when battery
charging - so it does account for the losses involved at night (as with
a SW system - the OutBack FX draws zero watts at night).  It also
records the power provided during an outage as sold power - as it
should.

Now all we need is sunny weather to actually produce some power...

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com