hybrid grid tie [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Tue Feb 10 15:16:06 PST 2004

Keith,

Although these are very interesting technical discussions, I think you are
faced with a very real code issue. Although the Outback unit may work fine
in conjunction with an SMA inverter, I don't either are listed for that type
of operation (Chris and John will be happy to correct me if I'm wrong). When
the Sunny Island is available in the U.S., that situation will change, but
until then, I think you are stuck. I think the best code-compliant way out
of this mess is the previous suggestion of using the Outback MPPT charge
controller with a slightly higher voltage array (3, 24V modules in series)
and some huge wire.

If the code is not an issue--go nuts--but remember this guy has a lot of
money to pay lawyers.

Bill.